Following hot on the heels of Jenny, Chris and Ryan whose incredible efforts in running (with Mo Farah!) in the Great North Run helped to raise valuable funds for RNIB’s Talking Books last weekend, Secure Base’s two original runners who launched our “Doing Something” initiative at last year’s Great North Run will be running in this weekend’s Richmond Half-Marathon. This time they will be running to raise funds for SHINE – https://www.shinetrust.org.uk.
“There’s no better gift you can give someone than the love of learning”
SHINE gives thousands of children the opportunity to acquire the skills and confidence they need to turn their aspirations into success at school, and beyond. SHINE do this by investing in teachers and schools that are working on the frontline of education to scale-up successful projects. To date SHINE have helped 140,000 children from all backgrounds to achieve their full potential. This year alone SHINE’s life-changing programmes have set the lives of 20,000 economically disadvantaged children on a new path to success.
All SHINE projects share a desire to help students build the skills, gain the confidence and achieve the grades they need to nurture their talents and fulfil their potential, at school and beyond.
- SHINE: Support and Help in Education was founded in March 1999 to help disadvantaged children and teenagers improve their academic performance.
- SHINE supports programmes that concentrate on core educational subjects and that complement and supplement the school curriculum.
- SHINE partners with organisations working with underachieving 4-18 year olds from disadvantaged communities, predominantly those in London and Manchester.
- SHINE rigorously evaluates the projects they fund to ensure the most effective intervention into young lives and the best possible value for money.
- SHINE invests time in identifying areas where they can make a difference and find out what works (and why). This helps them to replicate their most successful projects elsewhere, enabling many more children to benefit from tried and tested techniques.
- SHINE continues to seek out new and innovative projects to fund.
- Because SHINE’s trustees cover all their annual operating costs, every penny they receive from their supporters reaches the projects they fund.
- Since August 2000, SHINE has created opportunities for 100,000 children from more than 4,000 schools.
Secure Base is proud to support SHINE, if you would like to help us in doing so then please donate at: